Few things are as alluring and comforting as a freshly baked walnut pie. Just the thought of it makes my mouth water!
Making this walnut pie is surprisingly easy, and the taste is unbelievably delicious. I’m not kidding—I could devour the whole thing on my own! 🥧
Here’s what you need to make a 9-inch pie:
- 6 tbsp butter 85g, softened
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour a bit less than full
- 1 and 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2/3 cup heavy cream at room temperature
- 3 cups chopped walnuts
- Salt to taste
- Start with the crust. Cream together the softened butter and powdered sugar for about 2 minutes. Lightly whisk the eggs with salt, add them in, and whisk until combined. Add the flour and fold into a dough (no need to knead it). Divide into 2 discs, wrap them in cling film, and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Once the pastry dough is chilled, roll each half into a thin sheet large enough to cover a 9-inch pan.
- Butter your tart pan, carefully place one sheet into the pan, and clean up the edges. Cut the other sheet into thick strips (3/4 inch) and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Make the caramel by heating the sugar in a pan over low heat for about 5-7 minutes until it melts into a light golden color. Add honey, then slowly pour in the cream while vigorously mixing. The cream will cause the caramel to bubble and solidify, but keep mixing until it reaches a thick consistency. Stir in the walnuts and add salt to taste.
- Let the walnut mix cool. Meanwhile, create a lattice with the pastry strips on a sheet of wax paper. Fill the tart pan with the walnut filling, and carefully transfer the lattice on top. Pinch together the edges.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes until the pie turns a nice light golden color. If it starts to burn, cover with foil.
- Serve! This pie is best enjoyed warm, especially with a scoop of ice cream. 🤤