Oh, these cookies are absolutely heavenly! Just picture the deliciousness of chocolate cookies, brownies, and molten lava cake all rolled into one delightful treat.
Chocolate Molten Lava Cookies
**For the Chocolate Fudge Sauce:**
- 1/2 cup dark or bittersweet chocolate 120g
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk 6oz or slightly less than half of a 14oz can
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter 28g
**For the Cookies:**
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened (113g)
- 2/3 cup sugar 150g
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 130g
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder 35g
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a nonstick pan, melt the chocolate and sweetened condensed milk over low heat until a shiny mixture forms. Add butter and stir until combined. Turn off the heat.
- Scoop the fudge with a tablespoon onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, forming ~30g balls. Freeze. You only need 6 for the cookies.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk butter and sugar until light and creamy (2-3 minutes). Add the egg and whisk for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the dry ingredients, using a spatula to combine. Stop mixing once everything comes together.
- Place the cookie dough in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Divide the chilled dough into 6 equal parts (about 75g each).
- Roll each into a ball. Flatten in your palm, place a frozen fudge ball, and seal with cookie dough. Roll into a ball.
- Place the 6 cookie balls on lined baking sheets, leaving space to spread.
- Bake at 375°F for ~12-13 minutes. Cookies should be semi-firm to touch; they’ll firm up more after baking.
- This recipe makes extra fudge for other treats!
- Bake a test cookie first to determine your preferred baking time.
- You can double the recipe for 12 cookies, but don’t double the fudge sauce!
- Enjoy these cookies warm when the fudge inside is still molten.