Hey there! Imagine this chocolate cake stealing the spotlight at your Christmas dessert table—seriously, it’s practically begging for a spot. Let’s make its little wish come true, shall we?
Why is this our December bake of the month? Because, honestly, I’m convinced it’s the ultimate chocolate cake recipe. No competition. It’s been a hit with so many of you already, and if you haven’t given it a try, what are you waiting for?
Best Chocolate Cake Ever
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 260g
- 1 1/2 cups sugar 330g
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder 65g
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil 120g
- 1 cup milk 240g
- 1/2 cup Ovaltine chocolate powder 50g
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- 1/2 cup boiling water 120g
- 1/2 cup sour cream 120g
And for the luscious chocolate cream cheese frosting (make sure these ingredients are at room temperature):
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 113g
- 8 oz cream cheese 226g
- 3 cups powdered sugar 360g
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder 50g
- 2 tbsp Ovaltine chocolate powder
- Preheat your oven to 350F, and line two 9” cake pans with parchment paper and butter.
- In a big bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients (except Ovaltine).
- Mix the milk with Ovaltine in a cup.
- Add eggs, oil, and Ovaltine milk to the dry mixture. Whisk until combined.
- In another cup, mix boiling water with instant coffee, then whisk it into the cake batter.
- Finally, fold in the sour cream—don’t overmix.
- Divide the batter into the pans and bake for 25-30 minutes (check with a toothpick).
- Cool the cakes on a wire rack.
Now, let’s frost and enjoy:
- Beat butter and cream cheese until creamy. Add cocoa, Ovaltine, and mix. Gradually add sugar while whisking at high speed until light and silky.
- Trim the cake tops, cut each in half, and layer with the frosting.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Dive into chocolate heaven and enjoy!