Making your own delicious glazed doughnuts is much simpler than you might think, and it’s definitely worth the wait! In just around 2.5 hours, you can enjoy doughnuts that rival your favorite bakery’s, all from the comfort of your own kitchen.
- Tangzhong: 4 tablespoons of milk 50g and 1 tablespoon of flour (10g)
- 3/4 cup of milk 180g
- 1.5 teaspoons of active dry yeast
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour 400g
- 2 tablespoons of milk powder 15g
- 1/4 cup of sugar 50g
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 5 tablespoons of softened butter divided into 2 parts (70g)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
For the original glaze: 1.5 cups of powdered sugar, 3-4 tablespoons of milk
For the chocolate glaze: 3/4 cup of chocolate chips + 1-2 tablespoons of oil
Cinnamon sugar: 3 tablespoons of sugar + 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Begin by making the tangzhong. Mix the flour and milk in a nonstick pan over medium heat until they form a thick paste.
- Combine tangzhong with cold milk, yeast, and sugar. Let it rest for 10 minutes to activate the yeast.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, except half of the butter. Knead for 5 minutes at medium speed. Then, add the remaining butter and knead for another 5-7 minutes until a smooth dough forms.
- Cover the dough and let it rise for 60-90 minutes in a warm place until it doubles in size.
- Roll out the dough into a 1 cm thick circle. Cut out the doughnuts (approximately 3.5” in diameter) and holes. Gather the dough scraps, roll them out again, and repeat until all the dough is used.
- Place the doughnuts on a tray and let them rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a wok. Once it reaches 350°F, turn the heat to medium-low and fry the doughnuts three at a time for about 45-60 seconds per side. Fry the holes for about 90 seconds.
- Make the original glaze by mixing all the ingredients. For the chocolate glaze, melt the chocolate and mix in the oil. Also, mix the sugar and cinnamon.
- While still warm, dip each doughnut into the glazes, and roll the doughnut holes in the cinnamon sugar.
- Now, savor the deliciousness! These doughnuts are at their absolute BEST when enjoyed fresh. Enjoy!