Discover the magic of basil in our Strawberry Cake! This delightful treat combines the sweetness of fresh strawberries with the unique touch of basil leaves. The result? A moist and tender cake that’s as easy to make as it is delicious. Plus, learn how to create elegant strawberry roses to adorn this exceptional dessert.
Easy Strawberry Cake With Basil And Strawberry Roses
Basil Whipped Cream:
- 1 Cup heavy cream
- 1/2 Cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1 Tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 Tsp. baking soda
- 1 3/4 Cups sugar
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil minced
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 2/3 Cup olive oil
- 1/2 Cup whole milk
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 3-4 Driscoll’s Berry Big Strawberries diced
- 6-7 Driscoll’s Berry Big Strawberries whole or shaped into roses
- Basil leaves
Basil Whipped Cream:
- Pour 1 cup heavy cream into a small saucepan.
- Add 1/2 cup basil leaves.
- Heat to a simmer just until barely steaming.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover saucepan and allow to steep for at least 30 minutes.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Strain chilled infused heavy cream into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and discard basil leaves.
- Add 2 tablespoons sugar to the bowl of the stand mixer.
- Whisk on medium until soft peaks form.
- Chill in the refrigerator until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 325˚F.
- Spray with nonstick spray or line with parchment paper a 9-inch by 13-inch baking pan.
- Place 2 cups of flour into a medium bowl.
- Add 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda.
- Sift the ingredients together.
- Set aside the flour mixture.
- Place 1 ¾ cups sugar into a large bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons minced basil.
- Massage basil leaves into sugar using fingertips.
- Add 4 eggs and whisk until well combined.
- Add 2/3 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup sour cream, and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture and fold together until no white streaks remain.
- Fold in diced strawberries until incorporated.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Set aside the strawberry cake to cool completely.
- Place one strawberry, stem side down, on a cutting board.
- Insert a wooden skewer securely into the tip of the strawberry.
- Holding the skewer in one hand and a paring knife in the other, cut petals around the lowest sides of the strawberry.
- Fan petals out as you work your way around the strawberry and use the skewer to turn the berry as you cut.
- Cut another row of petals slightly above the first row.
- Continue cutting and fanning out petals until you reach the top of the berry.
- Repeat with the remaining strawberries.
- – Spread basil whipped cream evenly over the top of the cake.
- – Decorate the cake with whole Berry Big Strawberries or strawberry roses.
- – Garnish with additional fresh basil leaves as desired.
- – Serve immediately and enjoy the delicious flavors!