Adding za’atar to the breadcrumb coating brings a burst of flavor to these fries with minimal effort. To make them, simply coat each stick in flour, dip it in beaten eggs, then roll it in breadcrumbs before frying until golden brown and crispy.
If you prefer an oven or air fryer method, it’s worth a try! Just spray the fries with olive oil cooking spray and bake or air fry at 350-375°F until they reach a satisfying crispiness.
Here’s the recipe:
(Adjust quantities for a smaller serving, as this recipe makes a generous batch)
Za’atar Halloumi Fries
- 14-16 oz halloumi cheese sliced into sticks
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup za’atar seasoning
- Heat about 1 inch of oil in a large skillet with high sides to 350°F.
- Slice the halloumi into sticks and set up a dipping station with three shallow bowls: one with flour, one with beaten eggs, and the third with a mixture of breadcrumbs and za’atar (mixed well). Dip each stick in flour, coat it in egg, then cover it with breadcrumbs. Repeat for all the fries.
- Once the oil reaches 350°F, fry the sticks in batches (5-6 at a time) for about 1-2 minutes on each side or until they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Serve the fries with your favorite dipping sauce. We recommend a lemon herb yogurt sauce, but feel free to use any sauce you like!
- For a gluten-free option, use gluten-free flour and breadcrumbs.