Introducing these amazing Tandoori Chicken Naan Buns! Picture the softest, fluffiest naan bread, embracing a spicy, smoky chicken filling, all bathed in warm garlic butter. If you’re a fan of delightful Pakistani/Indian flavors like chicken tikka masala, these buns are a must-try. They’re not just delicious; they’re perfect for Ramadan and Iftar feasts. And guess what? This recipe is super easy! I’m all about making things simple, and you’ll find this dish is as straightforward as it gets.
Tandoori Chicken Naan Buns
Tandoori Chicken Filling:
- 1.5 pounds chicken tenders about 4
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 small tomato pureed
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp chili flakes adjust as needed
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- Optional: 1-2 tablespoons Shan chicken tikka masala powder
- 2 tbsp oil butter, or ghee for cooking
- Handful of wooden smoking chips
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- ⅔ cup warm milk
- 2 tsp active dry yeast or instant yeast
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter softened
- ¼ cup plain yogurt preferably full fat
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese optional
- Egg wash 1 yolk + 1 tablespoon milk
- 1-2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder or minced garlic
- Chopped cilantro for garnishing
Marinate the Chicken:
- Combine all ingredients (excluding oil, smoking chips, and cilantro) in a bowl. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes.
Prepare the Naan Dough:
- Activate yeast in warm milk for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and knead for 7-8 minutes until the dough is smooth.
- Let it rise for 60-90 minutes until doubled in size.
Cook the Tandoori Chicken:
- Cook marinated chicken in oil until tender.
- Shred the chicken and smoke with wooden chips.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Assemble the Rolls:
- Punch down the dough and divide into 12 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a 3-4″ circle.
- Place filling in the center, add cheese if desired, seal, and shape into a ball.
- Let the rolls rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
Bake the Rolls:
- Brush with egg wash, sprinkle sesame seeds, and bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Brush with garlic butter, sprinkle cilantro, and serve!
- For instant yeast, skip the activation step.
- Excess filling? Save it for puff pastry parcels.
- Serve with your favorite chutney, like mint and cilantro chutney.