How about treating yourself and a special someone to a cozy fall date night with this delightful Sticky Toffee Pudding for Two? Forget the confusion about the name – it’s more of a heavenly date cake with a luscious toffee sauce, all topped off with a dollop of whipped cream. Imagine the sweetness, the warmth, and the caramel goodness all in one.
Sticky Toffee Pudding For Two
For the Cake:
- 3-4 medjool dates about 2 oz
- ¼ cup boiling water
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1-2 tbsp brown sugar 14-28g, depending on your sweetness preference
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 egg yolk
- ⅓ cup flour 43g
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ to ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp salt
For the Toffee Sauce:
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup cream
- Plain whipped cream or ice cream
- Pour boiling water over dates in a bowl, add baking soda, cover, and soak for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease 2 ramekins generously with butter.
- Blend dates and water into a paste.
- In a separate bowl, whisk butter, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolk and whisk to combine.
- Fold in the date paste.
- Sift in flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Gently fold to combine.
- Divide batter between ramekins, spreading evenly.
- Bake for ~25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs attached.
- While the cakes are baking, make the toffee sauce. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan on the lowest heat setting. Stir and cook for about 10 minutes until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
Assembly & Serving:
- Once the cakes are baked, poke holes in them with a toothpick.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons of toffee sauce over each cake and let it soak.
- Turn out the cakes onto plates and serve with additional sauce and plain whipped cream (unsweetened).
- Enjoy your delightful fall treat!