Move over, Pecan Pie! There’s a new dessert in town, and it’s about to take your taste buds on a nutty adventure. Say hello to the Pecan Upside Down Marble Cake – a soft and tender treat topped with a caramelized, crunchy pecan goodness that’ll have you coming back for more.
Let’s dive into the deliciousness with ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen:
Pecan Upside Down Marble Cake
**Caramel Pecan Topping:**
- 1 ¼ cups of pecan pieces and halves toasted for 5 minutes at 350°F
- 3 tablespoons of corn syrup or honey
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar about 110g
- ½ cup unsalted butter 113g
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
**Marble Cake Batter:**
- 1 cup sugar about 220g
- ⅓ cup melted butter 75g
- ¼ cup oil 50g
- 2 eggs + 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ¾ cups cake flour about 225g, or use 200g all-purpose flour and 25g cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup sour cream 180g
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
**For the Pecan Topping:**
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and prepare a 9″ cake pan with parchment paper and butter.
- Mix butter, corn syrup, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon in a saucepan. Cook on low heat until smooth.
- Remove from heat, add toasted pecans, and mix. Pour into the prepared pan, spread evenly, and place in the freezer.
**For the Cake Batter:**
- Whisk sugar, melted butter, oil, and vanilla in a bowl for 2 minutes. Add eggs and whisk for another 1-2 minutes.
- Sift in all dry ingredients (except cocoa powder) and fold until combined.
- Gently fold in sour cream until a light cake batter forms. Avoid over-mixing.
- Divide the cake batter into 2 bowls. Sift cocoa powder into one half and fold until combined.
- Remove the pan from the freezer. Spoon alternating scoops of vanilla and chocolate batter into the pan. Don’t shake; handle gently.
- Leave as is for zebra stripes or use a skewer for a marbled effect. Avoid stirring the pecan filling.
- Bake the cake for 30 minutes at 350°F, followed by ~15 minutes at 330°F. Ensure it’s fully baked by inserting a toothpick in the middle.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 20-30 minutes to allow the pecan topping to set. Carefully flip it onto a serving stand.
**Serve and Enjoy!**
- Indulge in the irresistible flavors of this Pecan Upside Down Marble Cake. Your taste buds are in for a treat!