Get ready for the most amazing homemade croissants ever – they’re buttery, flaky, and absolutely perfect!
- 2 teaspoons of yeast 5g
- 1/3 cup of milk 80g
- 1/4 cup + a bit more water 50g
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour 120g
- 1 cup and 1 tablespoon of bread flour 130g
- 1 teaspoon of salt 5g
- 2 tablespoons of sugar 30g
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 3 tablespoons of softened butter 40g
- 1 1/8 cups of high-quality butter for lamination about 260g with at least 82% butter fat
- Mix the milk and yeast, let it sit for 5-10 minutes, and then add all the ingredients (except the 40g of softened butter). Knead the dough for at least 10 minutes, and don’t worry if it’s tough – that’s how it should be.
- Add the softened butter and knead again for 5-7 minutes until everything is well combined and stretchy.
- Cover the dough and let it rise for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a 7×7” square and freeze it for 45 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, cream the remaining butter in a mixer until it’s a bit malleable. Form it into a 4×4” square using wax paper and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Place the butter on the pastry, fold the pastry to cover the butter, and seal the edges. Roll it out into an 8×16” sheet. If it gets too hard to roll, let it rest for 5 minutes at room temperature. If the butter starts to melt, refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Make a double fold, wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Turn the dough 90 degrees, roll it out again, and make a single fold.
- Chill for 30-60 minutes, roll again, and make a double fold.
- Wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Roll the dough into a 9×21 inch sheet. Cut it into 12-14 triangles (3” base), make a small cut at the base of each, stretch out gently, and fold tightly from the base to the tip. Place the croissants on a baking sheet with the tail tucked in.
- Cover the croissants with egg wash and let them rise for 2 hours in a warm place until they’re jiggly.
- Preheat the oven to 390°F. Cover with egg wash again.
- Bake for 6 minutes at 390°F, then 10-12 minutes at 330°F.
- Serve these amazing croissants with a hot cup of coffee! Enjoy!