Introducing the most delicious combo ever – cheese 🧀, caramelized onions 🧅, and honey 🍯!
Perfect for sharing, this recipe yields 9-12 cheese rolls and takes about 2.5-3 hours from start to finish.
For the dough, you’ll need:
- 15 grams of bread flour for Tangzhong
- 90 grams of whole milk
- 150 grams of whole milk
- 50 grams of sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast
- 300 grams of bread flour
- 15 grams of milk powder like Nido
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 50 grams of softened unsalted butter
For the cheese filling, gather:
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon each of salt pepper, and chili flakes (adjust to taste)
- 1/3 cup each of shredded mozzarella cheddar, gouda, and Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons of cream cheese
- 1/2 small onion + 1 tablespoon of oil
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- Everything but the bagel seasoning optional
- * Freshly grated cheese works best
- Make the bread dough following the instructions for cinnamon rolls.
- While the dough rises, prepare the cheese filling by melting butter, milk, and flour in a pan until it forms a sauce-like consistency.
- Mix in the shredded cheeses, cream cheese, salt, pepper, and chili. Adjust the taste as needed.
- Caramelize the thinly sliced onion in oil on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes until crispy.
- Roll out the risen dough into a large rectangle. Evenly spread the cheese filling, caramelized onions, and fresh parsley.
- Roll it tightly into a log and cut into 9 to 12 rolls. Place them in a greased pan and let them rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the rolls for approximately 20 minutes until they turn a light golden brown.
- While still hot, brush with honey and sprinkle with everything but the bagel seasoning (or sesame seeds).
- Enjoy the scrumptious rolls!