Here’s an easy-to-follow recipe for a delicious sweet and tangy cake that’s simpler to make than you might expect.
Persimmon Upside-Down Cake
- 1 stick of butter softened
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons of sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1/2 cup of whole milk
- 2 persimmons sliced into rounds
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons of water
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cream together the softened butter and sugar.
- Add sour cream, then eggs one at a time, and vanilla, mixing until the batter is smooth.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- Gradually add 1/3 of the dry mixture to the butter mixture and mix until combined. Then add half of the milk and mix. Repeat until both the dry mixture and milk are fully incorporated, finishing with the dry mixture.
- Grease an 8-inch pan (springform or regular) with nonstick cooking spray and line it with parchment paper.
- Arrange the persimmon slices on the bottom of the pan to create an even layer.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water. Heat on medium, swirling the pan until the mixture turns a medium shade of amber.
- Pour the caramel over the persimmons.
- Top with the cake batter and use an offset spatula to smooth it.
- Bake the cake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Once out of the oven, run an offset spatula along the sides of the pan to release the edges. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes, then invert it onto a serving plate (or release it from the pan if you used a springform pan). Enjoy your delightful homemade treat!