We got creative with the classic tiramisu and transformed it into a fantastic layer cake using the Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, and Non-GMO baking mixes and frostings from Simple Mills.
Ombre Tiramisu Style Cake
For the cakes:
- 1 box Simple Mills Chocolate Cake Mix and the extra ingredients listed on the box
- 1 box Simple Mills Vanilla Cake Mix and the extra ingredients listed on the box
For the filling:
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 8 oz container cold mascarpone cheese
For the coffee soak:
- 1/4 cup 60ml strongly brewed espresso
- 2 containers Simple Mills Chocolate Frosting
- 2 containers Simple Mills Vanilla Frosting
- Cocoa powder for dusting
Make the cakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Grease and line two 6-inch cake tins.
- Prepare the Chocolate mix according to the box instructions.
- Divide the batter evenly between the pans using a scale.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in the tins for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat the process with the Vanilla mix and cool completely.
- Level off the cakes to have flat tops.
- In a stand mixer or with an electric mixer, whip together the cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Add the mascarpone and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Place chocolate frosting in a stand mixer and whip until silky and smooth.
- Transfer a portion to a piping bag fitted with a round tip; the rest goes in a bowl.
- Repeat the whipping process with the vanilla frosting.
- Pipe a ‘dam’ of chocolate frosting around the outside of a chocolate layer.
- Fill the dam with mascarpone frosting and smooth with an offset spatula.
- Top with a vanilla layer, repeat the process.
- Finish with a chocolate layer and a vanilla layer on top.
- Spread chocolate frosting around the bottom half of the cake and vanilla frosting over the top.
- Blend the two frostings where they meet.
- Smooth the sides with an icing scraper, patching up any holes.
- Smooth the top edge with an offset spatula.
- Pipe a ring of vanilla frosting blobs around the top using a French star tip.
- Top it off with a light dusting of cocoa, if you like.