Get ready to experience the incredible flavors of Fondant Potatoes, also known as melting potatoes – they’re a true delight! While they may be reserved for special occasions, the effort you put into making them is absolutely worth it.
- 4-5 large Yukon gold potatoes sliced into 1-inch rounds
- Avocado oil or another high-heat oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4-6 tbsp butter regular or vegan
- 8-10 cloves garlic
- 4-5 sprigs each of rosemary and thyme
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F.
- Slice the potatoes into 1-inch thick rounds. Use a small cookie cutter to create evenly-sized cylinders, ensuring the potatoes cook uniformly. (You can use the leftover potato scraps for a tasty breakfast hash or mashed potatoes the next day!)
- Soak the potatoes in a bowl of cold water for 15 minutes, then pat them completely dry.
- While the potatoes soak, heat avocado oil in a 10-inch fry pan over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium just before adding the potatoes. Sear them for 3-5 minutes on one side until golden brown and crispy, seasoning with salt.
- Flip the potatoes, season with salt, and sear for another 3-5 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Using tongs and a paper towel, soak up as much frying oil as possible (turn off the heat for this step).
- Return to medium heat, add in butter, garlic, herbs, salt, and pepper to taste. Heat the butter until foamy and hot, but avoid browning it. Baste the potatoes with the butter. Pour in vegetable stock, remove from the stovetop, and place in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until completely tender on the interior. Now, savor the deliciousness!