Looking for a simple recipe to make Crème Brûlée donuts? You’re in luck! Crème Brûlée is back in style, popping up all over Instagram and TikTok in various forms – and I’m loving it!
Imagine the smooth custard with a delicate, crunchy caramel topping. Now, picture that combination in a donut – sounds amazing, right? These Crème Brûlée donuts use an easy-to-make tangzhong dough, no need for a blowtorch, and you won’t have any leftover egg whites!
Creme Brulee Donuts
- 4 tbsp milk 50g for tangzhong
- 1 tbsp flour 10g for tangzhong
- 3/4 cup milk 180g
- 1.5 tsp yeast
- 3 cups all-purpose flour 400g
- 2 tbsp milk powder 15g
- 1/4 cup sugar 50g
- 1 large egg room temp
- 5 tbsp softened butter in 2 parts (70g)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar 110g
- 2 tbsp cornstarch 20g
- 2 cups milk 460g
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp water
- Pinch of salt
- Follow the donut-making method I shared before.
- For the creme patisserie, whisk eggs, cornstarch, salt, and sugar. Boil milk and vanilla in a nonstick pan, then slowly pour it into the egg mixture while whisking. Cook on low heat, stirring constantly until you have a custard-like consistency. Add butter, mix, strain, and let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the creme patisserie into a piping bag with a Bismarck 230 tip. Fill the donuts with the custard until they feel heavy.
- For the caramel, mix the ingredients in a nonstick pan on low heat. Let the sugar dissolve and caramelize to a deep golden color.
- While the caramel is hot, dip one side of the donuts for a thin caramel coating. If it starts to harden, reheat until runny. The donuts will form a crispy coating as they cool.
- Serve and enjoy your delightful Crème Brûlée donuts!