Get ready for a delicious treat inspired by @bunsfromhome in London! These rolls are so tasty, they might just give your usual cinnamon rolls a run for their money.
Chocolate Hazelnut and Cinnamon Croissant Rolls
- A prepared croissant dough sheet 9×16 inches (about 0.4-0.5mm thick), equivalent to 250g of flour in the recipe
- 1 egg + 1 tbsp milk for an egg wash
For the Cinnamon Rolls:
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Frosting: 2 tbsp cream cheese 1 tbsp butter, 1/4 cup icing sugar, 1-2 tsp cream
For the Chocolate Hazelnut Rolls:
- 1/4 cup Nutella 70g
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts + 1 tbsp sugar
- Brush a 9×9-inch pan with butter.
- Mix butter, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
- Follow your preferred croissant dough recipe. When rolling it out, aim for a 9×16-inch sheet (0.4-0.5mm thick).
- Mark 9 strips on the sheet, each 1.8×9 inches.
- Divide the sheet into two halves, one with 4 strips and the other with 5.
- On the 4-strip sheet, spread Nutella, then cut into 4 strips. Roll each strip and place on the pan.
- On the 5-strip sheet, spread the cinnamon sugar mix, cut into strips, roll them up, and place on the pan.
- Brush rolls with egg wash and let them proof at room temperature (75F) for 2 hours until puffy and jiggly. Preheat the oven to 350F in the last 15 minutes.
- Give another coating of egg wash and bake for about 20-25 minutes until the rolls have a rich golden color.
- Chop hazelnuts into crumbs, mix with sugar, and bake for 5-8 minutes until fragrant.
- Whisk the cream cheese frosting ingredients (ensure cream cheese and butter are at room temp) and place into a piping bag.
- Place the rolls on a serving plate. Sprinkle hazelnut crumbs on the Nutella rolls and pipe thin lines of cream cheese frosting on the cinnamon rolls.
- Serve and enjoy! These are best eaten within a day. Keep at room temperature in an airtight container and toast/bake for a few minutes to freshen before eating.