Check out this amazing cake – it’s so soft and moist, with a delicious coffee flavor! There’s a coffee streusel on top and a simple coffee icing that takes it to the next level. It’s been compared to the famous Bombay Bakery coffee cake – quite a compliment! I really hope you’ll enjoy it as much as others have.
Imagine a tender coffee cake that’s both moist and flavorful, featuring coffee in the mix and topped with a cinnamon coffee streusel and a straightforward coffee icing. What’s even better? The recipe is super simple and only requires 20 minutes of active work. And get this – the term “coffee cake” in the US typically doesn’t actually include coffee in the cake itself!
Best Coffee Cake With Coffee
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour 98g
- ¾ cup light brown sugar 150g
- 1 ½ tsp instant espresso powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 6 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes (85g)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar 220g
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter melted (75g)
- ¼ cup oil 50g
- 2 eggs + 1 egg white room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ¾ cup cake flour 225g or use 200g all-purpose flour + 25g cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup sour cream 120g
- ¼ cup hot brewed coffee 60g
- 1 cup powdered sugar 120g
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp brewed coffee
**For the Coffee Streusel:**
- Mix flour, brown sugar, espresso powder, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
- Add cold cubed butter and rub it in until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Place in the fridge while you prepare the cake.
**For the Coffee Cake:**
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 9×9″ baking pan with parchment paper.
- Mix sugar, melted butter, oil, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Add eggs and egg white, whisk for another minute.
- Sift in cake flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda; gently fold until combined.
- Add sour cream and hot brewed coffee, fold until a smooth batter forms.
- Pour half the batter into the pan, sprinkle half of the streusel, spoon the remaining batter, and top with the remaining streusel.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, let it cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
**For the Icing:**
- Mix powdered sugar, vanilla, and coffee until smooth.
- Once the cake has cooled, drizzle the icing, cut into squares, and serve!